aries-dev mailing list archives

From Timothy Ward <>
Subject RE: SPI-Fly: recent changes
Date Fri, 11 Mar 2011 13:56:11 GMT

Hi David,

I'm a +1 for this. I'm looking at doing something similar with JPA to get load-time weaving
in a 4.3 framework whilst still being able to run in a 4.2 framework.

I think it can be made to work reasonably well, I'd be interested to see your approach to
see whether it's neater than mine.

> Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2011 11:09:20 +0000
> Subject: SPI-Fly: recent changes
> To:
> Hi all,
> I've been working on refactoring SPI-Fly over the past while to be
> based on the OSGi 4.3 Weaving Hooks and ASM (instead of the
> AspectJ-based implementation which was there before). This is
> basically the work that I was doing in the
> spi-fly/contrib/pilot_using_weavinghook.
> I have now migrated the Eclipse projects in the contrib directory to a
> maven-based build in spi-fly and its submodules.
> This stuff is quite close to being useful in real life, but there's
> one change that I'm planning on making over the next little while.
> While the current solution works on OSGi 4.3 frameworks, I would like
> to make it possible to use this in existing OSGi 4.2 frameworks as
> well. For this I'm going to split it into two components:
> * one that uses the 4.3 weaving hook: this will automatically do the
> weaving at runtime in the framework
> * another alternative component that does static weaving on the bundle
> jar. This will be a command-line utility which takes in one or more
> bundles, processes them and then spits out modified bundles
> At runtime the behaviour of the bundles treated by either of the above
> two options is the same.
> Once everything is in place I'll work a little bit on the documentation too.
> Thoughts, comments welcome.
> Cheers,
> David
View raw message