aries-dev mailing list archives

From Graham Charters <>
Subject Re: Aries Subsystem
Date Thu, 03 Mar 2011 09:58:16 GMT
Hi Charles,

The Aries Subsystem module (which is not currently built as part of a
normal Aries build) was initially created to inform some OSGi
specification work with the eventual goal of having it become the
reference implementation.  Its current design has it in two layers:
1.  Scope Admin that makes it easier to program isolation scopes using
the new OSGi resolver hooks capability.
2.  Subsystem Admin for declaratively installing subsystems, of which
there are three types (application, composite and feature). Subsystems
are collections of Resources (e.g. bundles) with isolation semantics
determined by their type.

The implementation as it stands is very basic and my understanding of
John's patch is that it improves the Scope Admin layer to help make it
fit for the purpose of implementing the Subsystem Admin layer.

I hope this helps.

Regards, Graham.

On 3 March 2011 06:48, Charles Moulliard <> wrote:
> Hi John,
> Thank you very for the patch available here
> ( Can you provide us
> more info about what your patch will provide as new functionality for
> Aries ? Do you have an example + test case ?
> Regards,
> Charles Moulliard
> Apache Committer
> Blog :
> Twitter :
> Linkedin :
> Skype: cmoulliard
> On Thu, Mar 3, 2011 at 1:26 AM, John W Ross <> wrote:
>> Hello,
>> I would like to help with moving the Aries Subsystem implementation
>> forward. I work at IBM and participate in the EEG and CPEG groups. I've
>> also been consulting with the Subsystem spec lead, Graham Charters, for the
>> past few weeks.  I wanted to introduce myself because I will be providing a
>> patch that updates the implementation to the released version of OSGi core
>> 4.3. This required numerous, low level changes that had cascading affects
>> across several projects, so the patch is not small. I also added a number
>> of additional tests requiring several configuration changes.
>> Thanks,
>> John

View raw message