aries-dev mailing list archives

From David Bosschaert <>
Subject SPI-Fly: recent changes
Date Fri, 04 Mar 2011 11:09:20 GMT
Hi all,

I've been working on refactoring SPI-Fly over the past while to be
based on the OSGi 4.3 Weaving Hooks and ASM (instead of the
AspectJ-based implementation which was there before). This is
basically the work that I was doing in the

I have now migrated the Eclipse projects in the contrib directory to a
maven-based build in spi-fly and its submodules.

This stuff is quite close to being useful in real life, but there's
one change that I'm planning on making over the next little while.
While the current solution works on OSGi 4.3 frameworks, I would like
to make it possible to use this in existing OSGi 4.2 frameworks as
well. For this I'm going to split it into two components:
* one that uses the 4.3 weaving hook: this will automatically do the
weaving at runtime in the framework
* another alternative component that does static weaving on the bundle
jar. This will be a command-line utility which takes in one or more
bundles, processes them and then spits out modified bundles
At runtime the behaviour of the bundles treated by either of the above
two options is the same.

Once everything is in place I'll work a little bit on the documentation too.

Thoughts, comments welcome.

View raw message