aries-dev mailing list archives

From zoe slattery <>
Subject Release by module - proposal?
Date Mon, 28 Feb 2011 11:36:22 GMT

Hi - After 4 or 5 days spent fighting the maven release plugin I have
something that is probably worth discussing.

For releasing modules I think I'm down to two options.

1) We follow Guillaume's suggestion of having release artifact versions
different to bundle versions
         - We can release by module as we do now
         - Might have unexpected side effects where people expect the
BundleVersion to be the same as the version in the artifact name.
         - We release the same code more than once, with different
artifact names

2) We release each bundle in a module, only where the bundle has
actually changed. Then find a way to distribute bundles that we know
work together.
        - A bit more work to release, but not a stupid amount
        - Versions in artifact names are the same as Bundle-Version
        - We don't release the same code over again

I have a sample of what a module distro might look like here :
It contains the build-able source for the whole proxy module, and, under
'bundles', the proxy jars corresponding to the release.

I'd like some feedback on a couple of things:

(a) Do people feel it's necessary to have the buildable module source in
a distro? I ask this because this is the part that's been very had to
do. Just collecting up the bundles is very easy.
(b) Does option 2 seem like a reasonable way forward? I think we could
construct something similar for a complete aries distro with working
samples, but I haven't tried yet.