aries-dev mailing list archives

From Felix Meschberger <>
Subject Re: Whiteboard JMX MBean registration
Date Thu, 07 Oct 2010 10:53:36 GMT
Hi Adam,

Yes, and in fact there is probably potentially another multi-threading
issue: the MBeanHolder internally uses a map to maintain MBeanServer

Access to this should maybe also be synchronized.

I don't think doing this on a separate thread is a good thing because,
particularly, in the unregistration case the MBean service being
unregistered will possibly not being properly operating any longer when
unregistering asynchronously.

On 07.10.2010 12:45, adam wojtuniak wrote:
> Hi Felix,
> I've looked at your code and looks very good. I have one comment: in jmx
> core we used single thread to synch two trackers for MBeans and MBean
> servers.
> Your code will work in 99% cases but if for example MBean server is
> registered in ServiceRegistry before MBean is sitll possible that MBean
> won't be registered in MBeanServer.
> When MBean server is registered, an array of MBean servers is copied and a
> new one is created based on copied array and new MBean server. If the new
> MBean service is in the process of registration is possible that
> JMXWhiteboardSupport can see old array which doesn't contain new MBean
> server.
> Cheers,
> Adam
> On Thu, Oct 7, 2010 at 10:42 AM, Felix Meschberger <>wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I have added some more juice to my proposed JMX whiteboard support. See
>> ARIES-430 [1] for details.
>> Are you willing to take (and kindly release it ;-) ) ? Thanks alot.
>> I certainly stay around in case of any problems arising because we will
>> be using this most probably in Apache Sling (as well as our commercial
>> product) for JMX support.
>> Regards
>> Felix
>> [1]
>> On 29.09.2010 08:08, Felix Meschberger wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>> Over in Apache Sling we are considering adding support for JMX to our
>>> framework. While working on this we recognized, that there seems to not
>>> be any whiteboard pattern style support for MBean registration; neither
>>> in the spec nor in Aries.
>>> IMHO it would make provisioning of MBeans a lot easier if one could just
>>> register a DynamicMBean service and be sure it will be picked up and
>>> registered with each MBeanServer service.
>>> Has such a thing been considered already in Aries ? Would the Aries
>>> community be interested in such a thing ?
>>> Regards
>>> Felix

View raw message