aries-dev mailing list archives

From Holly Cummins <>
Subject Re: building Apache Aries trunk from the top level pom
Date Thu, 16 Sep 2010 08:45:56 GMT
Joe wrote:

> For example, here are some real life results:
> - mvn clean from root
> - remove aries artifacts from maven local repo to ensure a clean
> starting point (rm -rf ./m2/repository/org/apache/aries )
> - mvn install from root
> - failures in application tests - IsolatedRuntimeTest, UpdateAppTest,
> OBRResolverTest, and OBRResolverAdvancedTest

This is very similar to what I'm seeing. Failures every single time, but
it feels like the same test never fails twice.

I believe that the quiesce tests in particular do have some concrete
timing criteria - "has everything managed to quiesce before the timeout?"
and so on.

The fact that they work reliably when run individually makes me wonder if
the performance of the build gets slower as it progresses through the
child components, and that means some tests are running slowly enough to
hit timing glitches. This could be heap fragmentation - in which case
running with a bigger heap could help. It could be that the Hudson builds
are running with a larger heap, or it could be that the absence of other
processes on the machine means the memory and disk caches are staying
clean enough that the performance is ok?

I wonder if running with a bigger heap would help?

Unless stated otherwise above: