aries-dev mailing list archives

From Emily Jiang <>
Subject Re: building Apache Aries trunk from the top level pom
Date Wed, 15 Sep 2010 16:42:08 GMT
For me, two areas are constantly failing: blueprint itests:
quiesceBlueprintTests particularly failed very often followed by some of
application itests.

Many thanks and kindest regards,
Emily Jiang
WebSphere ESB Foundation Technologies

MP 211, DE3A25, Winchester, Hampshire, England, SO21 2JN
Phone:  +44 (0)1962 816278  Internal: 246278

Lotus Notes: Emily Jiang/UK/IBM@IBMGB

From:   Mark Nuttall <>
Date:   15/09/2010 17:20
Subject:        Re: building Apache Aries trunk from the top level pom

I too find the application itests particularly flaky on a local mvn
line. I spent most of today trying to debug the sometimes-failing tests: I
couldn't get any to fail under a debugger, and couldn't work out from the
trace why any had failed otherwise :(

Emily, Chris and I are going to be making changes to the application
provisioning and runtime areas for a while yet. I'm sorry if we've
introduced further problems in this area. I do think it's timing related
based on today's investigations.

On 15 September 2010 17:03, Valentin Mahrwald

> I just checked and had a 50% success rate :)
> I have found some of the new tests in the application itest project are
> flaky (maybe the timeouts are not big enough). But the rest seems to
> for me.
> Valentin
> On 15 Sep 2010, at 10:28, Joe Bohn wrote:
> >
> > I seem to be having lots of problems building Apache Aries trunk from
> top level pom because of test errors.  And, the more tests we add the
> the process becomes.  For me it is virtually impossible to build.  Once
in a
> while I'll get lucky and things will actually work. However, most of the
> time it seems there are test failures somewhere along the way.  The
> is often a timeout waiting for a service. However, there are a large
> of other (strange) failures such as InvocationTargetExceptions, invalid
> state, NPEs, etc...  that are becoming more common.
> >
> > When attempting to run a build from the top level a test that passes
> one attempt will fail on the next and the one that failed on the last
> will pass on the next (if the build even gets that far).  All in all, it
> pretty much impossible to build from the top level.
> >
> > The only success that I have in building all of Apache Aries is to
> each module individually in the order specified in the top level pom
> I think is now correct).  As I hit failures I rebuild just that module
> successful and then I move on to the next module.
> >
> > So this raises 2 questions:
> > 1) Am I the only one seeing these types of problems?  If it is just me
> then I guess I just need to figure out what is wrong with my
> >
> > 2) If it is more wide spread then it seems to me that we might have
> issues that we need to address.  Certainly we are dealing with a dynamic
> system with loose coupling and there are very likely timing scenarios
> will arise occasionally.  However, the frequency and variety of failures
> seeing makes me wonder if we have larger timing or synchronization
> that have not yet been addressed.  Do you agree?  If so, then we need to
> come up with some way to isolate and resolve these issues.
> >
> > Joe

Unless stated otherwise above: