aries-dev mailing list archives

From zoe slattery <>
Subject Re: Website navigation
Date Tue, 06 Jul 2010 11:58:13 GMT
Alasdair Nottingham wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm not sure of the right solution, but I do not like the current
> simplified navigation for the website. For me it feels more cumbersome
> when navigating around the site. It has added an extra level of
> indirection, and an extra mouse button click between the front page
> and the content. However I agree what we had before wasn't very good
> either. So I'm wondering if we could do something like:
> 1. Do something like the service mix website where the children of the
> top level headers are bunched up together more closely. I think we
> should be able to do this by updating the sites CSS.
> 2. Perhaps we could use a mouse over to expand the sub menu as you
> mouse over the heading in the navigation.
> I think the first option is probably easier than the second, but I do
> think we should look getting the key subpages back into the main
> navigation.
I spent some time yesterday experimenting with sub-menus in JavaScript
and with style sheets. I think that the easiest was to do it is with
modifications to the style sheet and some corresponding modifications to
the wiki layout. I didn't like the JavaScript solution was working out.
I have something on my local machine that creates a sub-menu on hover
which looks like this:

To get this I had to make changes to a local copy index.html - the next
step would be to make the corresponding changes on the the Wiki and
check that confluence exports something equivalent to my local changes.
If it does then I can check in a modified stylesheet that creates sub-menus.

> What do you think?
> Thanks
> Alasdair

View raw message