aries-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <>
Subject Re: JNDI and proxying
Date Mon, 12 Jul 2010 23:55:07 GMT
I opened ARIES-356 and committed my current idea of what is reasonable in rev 963535 to give
us something concrete to talk about.

david jencks

On Jul 12, 2010, at 10:36 AM, David Jencks wrote:

> On Jul 9, 2010, at 1:21 PM, Alasdair Nottingham wrote:
>> I'm still a little concerned about this. I have two concerns:
>> 1. How does the client deal with the dynamism in the non-proxies case.
>> 2. How does the client know whether they have a non-proxied object so it can be treated
> I think anyone who is really concerned with  osgi lifecycle and is in a position to modify
their applications to deal with it is not going to be using jndi.  So, I think it's reasonable
to have
> osgi:services which always gives you a proxy or an exception
> aries:services which makes a best-effort attempt to give you a proxy but gives you the
raw service if it can't construct a proxy.
> I guess I think it's also reasonable to have aries:services always return the raw service
with no attempt to proxy: then a client (such as a jndi ref) can first try osgi:services and
if it doesn't work fall back to aries:services.
> To me this is about making jndi work for more or less existing code.  If someone has
some code that looks up javax.mail.Session in jndi, and they want to register their Session
as an osgi service, what do you think should happen?  I think we should let them do it and
let them deal with the consequences.
> thanks
> david jencks
>> I'm a little concerned that the client needs to act differently in the proxied vs
non-proxied cases.
>> Alasdair Nottingham
>> On 9 Jul 2010, at 14:03, Lin Sun <> wrote:
>>> I like the idea too!  I had been wondering how we could differentiate
>>> the case where we absolutely want the proxy generated vs the case
>>> where we want a non-proxies service object returned when we cannot
>>> proxy the class.
>>> Lin

View raw message