aries-dev mailing list archives

From Holly Cummins <>
Subject Re: GOAT fixes
Date Fri, 04 Jun 2010 09:09:56 GMT
Hi Zoe,

zoe slattery <> wrote on 06/04/2010 08:37:15

> I made a start on that last night and moved three bundleOutlineColors to

> Theme.js - I'll work through Component.js today and move every hard
> coded color
> to Theme.js. What do you think about line characteristics, eg thickness?

> I feel they should probably move too.

+1, definitely

> Yes - the relationship between a service and the bundle that registers
> it is different from other relationships though. I think it could be a
> fixed length line? and possibly part of the service graphic rather than
> a separate relationship object? Don't know - just a thought.

I think you're right that it's a different kind of relationship. My
feeling at the moment - which might change - is that the right way to fix
it is to make the relationships smarter, so that we can tell the
relationship object that it's different and wants to be a fixed length.
There's some other stuff that would be nice-to-have for relationships and
layouts so that components have 'weights', and if you move a component it
brings its related components with it if they're not anchored to anything
else. If the related components have a few other connections they'd drag
only a little ways, but if the dragged components are themselves very
well-connected they'd be 'heavy' and not move. We might be able to kill
two birds with one stone and solve the problem of firmly attaching
services to bundles in the same way as we solve the problem of dragging a
bundle's friends around with it.

(Having said that, if everything slithers around when one bundle gets
moved it might drive us crazy, so a toggle for that behaviour will be
another thing to put in the Theme.js.)

Unless stated otherwise above: