aries-dev mailing list archives

From Holly Cummins <>
Subject Re: GOAT fixes
Date Thu, 03 Jun 2010 20:26:09 GMT
Hi Zoe,

> That sounds good to me. Do you mind if I try and move all of the colors
> into a central place, Theme.js? I don't think it will overlap with what

I think that's an excellent idea. There's a rewrite of Theme.js in the
offing to push a lot more of the configuration out to file, but I don't
think it's going to be happening quite yet. And, of course, even when it
does happen it will need to start from a basis in which all the colours
are configured centrally from Theme.js. I'd suggest defining the colours
in Theme.js and then accessing them through methods/fields on the
ComponentAppearance.js. The general intention is that the theme defines
the parameters of the behaviour ("Disabled bundles are grey, active
bundles are mauve, services are yellow") and then the component appearance
defines a more specific set of characteristics for a given bundle ("My
colour is mauve, my text is grey").

> you are doing and I'll try and do it in small chunks. By the way, I
> still don't think we are up to the place where it's OK to delete
> demo-protype so I'm leaving it there.
> Rendering stuff in the right place is hard, my daughter worked on
> developing an avatar for a while - it had an entertaining trick of
> occasionally rendering its legs in front of its skirt :-/

Yes, I think we might end up with quite a lot of pain when we try and
improve the rendering. It's one of the downsides of moving more things to
be top-level components instead of anchoring bigger objects and more
behaviour onto the relationships - we'll need a much smarter layout
manager so that it can handle things like keeping services close to their
owning bundles instead of rendering them halfway across the screen.

Unless stated otherwise above: