aries-dev mailing list archives

From Graham Charters <>
Subject Re: API/SPI Package versioning policy
Date Thu, 03 Jun 2010 14:17:58 GMT
This is an important discussion to have.  I think we should adopt the
semantic versioning policy outlined in the OSGi Alliance whitepaper:  .  This
includes guidelines on bundle versioning as well as packages.  I also
prefer trying to keep backward compatibility where practicable.

Regards, Graham.

On 3 June 2010 10:13, Timothy Ward <> wrote:
> Hi,
> Based on some updates to the JPA container we are considering making some changes to
some SPI classes. Obviously this would mean that we needed to chagne the version of the package,
but I wanted to raise a discussion on the list about our versioning policy. Are we trying
to keep version to version compatability where possible, and if so, how hard? Are we planning
to change package versions every release (which appears to be what the pom files say)?
> Similarly for bundle versions, if there are no changes to a bundle between releases (for
example if the JPA blueprint integration didn't change but the container added support for
weaving) then will the bundle version be changed anyway? If there are only minor bugfix changes
to the bundle will it still change major version on release?
> I know that my preference would be for a strict package versioning policy, and trying
to keep backward compatability wherever possible. I can't think of anything more annoying
than having to re-write or re-build plugins and extensions for every release. I'm less concerned
by bundle versions, but I would lean toward not changing them more often than necessary.
> What do people think?
> Regards,
> Tim
> We want to hear all your funny, exciting and crazy Hotmail stories. Tell us now

View raw message