aries-dev mailing list archives

From Alasdair Nottingham <>
Subject Re: aries application api
Date Wed, 10 Mar 2010 17:11:27 GMT
On 10 March 2010 16:25, Jarek Gawor <> wrote:
> Hi,
> I've been looking at the application code a little bit and have a few
> observations/changes I would like to make:
> 1) Some files are named AriesApplication*.java and some are
> Application*.java. To have consistent names I think we should rename
> some of these AriesApplication*.java files to Application*.java (i.e.
> drop the 'Aries' prefix)

I think the inconsistency is bad, but I did think having Aries at the
front made sense, if we end up with an OSGi standard version of these
interfaces having the Aries at the front would mean you don't need to
fully qualify the class name if you ever need both, such as
implementing both.

> 2) The class seems pretty generic so I would like
> to move it to the "utils" bundle (and maybe rename it as
> SimpleBundleInfo or something like that)

Which utils bundle are you thinking of? The application specific one
or the global one?

> 3) There is no way right now to save an application in "expanded form"
> into a directory (i.e. not as a file) So I would like to either 1)
> modify to handle directories as well
> as files or 2) add additional method to AriesApplication for storing
> the application into a directory.

I would go with option 1 in this case. If the provided file is a
directory we should write it exploded.

> 4) Seems like DeploymentMetadataFactory is missing a couple of methods
> for creating DeploymentMetadata directly from an InputStream or
> Manifest. I would like to add these.

> Any objections to these changes?
> Thanks,
> Jarek