aries-dev mailing list archives

From Guillaume Nodet <>
Subject Re: Application API
Date Thu, 18 Mar 2010 20:37:19 GMT

The application looks very complicated at first glance.
We should first focus on what is necessary to manipulate applications at
runtime and make that a clean api.
For example, all the metadata information will not be needed by the users
and I'm not even sure we need to have an API for that.
On the opposite, the constants are important for users because they are the
reference for writing applications and thus should be part of the API.

For the SPI / API split, I'm not convinced either.  I can imagine multiple
implementations of the whole thing if the API becomes a standard, but not
multiple providers on the same API.  So I don't think we need to use OSGi
services for that and we can hide that by repackaging things.

On Thu, Mar 18, 2010 at 18:16, Jarek Gawor <> wrote:

> Hi all,
> I have a few questions / comments on the Aries Application API.
> Specifically, about AriesApplicationManager and
> AriesApplicationContextManager API.
> The application-management module provides a default implementation
> for the AriesApplicationManager API while the application-runtime
> module provides an example implementation of the
> AriesApplicationContextManager API. It is expected (as indicated by
> JavaDoc) that different server runtimes will provide their own
> implementations of the AriesApplicationContextManager API.
> So it seems to me like the AriesApplicationContextManager is more of a
> SPI - something that user shouldn't/wouldn't normally use. If so, the
> user would only interact with the AriesApplicationManager API to
> perform application operations. If that's true then the
> AriesApplicationManager is missing methods for getting all
> AriesApplicationContexts or finding one by name. And at the same time
> the AriesApplicationContextManager would probably need to be
> completely reworked. For example to be named
> AriesApplicationManagerProvider and have corresponding
> install/uninstall/getContexts/findContext operations.
> Or maybe we should just get rid off the AriesApplicationContextManager
> completely and let folks implement the AriesApplicationManager API
> directly?
> Btw, by 'user' I meant some code that uses these API to perform some
> application operations. For example, in my case, I would like to have
> some osgi shell commands that use these API to
> install/uninstall/start/stop applications.
> Jarek

Guillaume Nodet
Open Source SOA