aries-dev mailing list archives

From Guillaume Nodet <>
Subject Re: Runtime dependencies for our released artifacts
Date Thu, 11 Mar 2010 19:46:16 GMT
On Thu, Mar 11, 2010 at 19:54, Lin Sun <> wrote:
> I think the framework launch may be used by the blueprint extender to
> detect blueprint bundles in child frameworks or the
> AriesBundleTracker, when we detect the framework provides
> CompositeBundleFactory service (which is based on old RFC 138).   And
> framework launch packages are provided by the osgi core 4.2 jar.  I
> think it is ok if we put it as optional.

I don't think that's the case.  The CompositeBundleFactory and
everything related to composites are in the
org.osgi.service.framework package.
We need to try, but I think it's safe to remove that one.

>>>  * org.osgi.framework.launch : no idea where this one come from, i
>>> can't find any reference in the whole project
>> cool lets remove it
>>>  * org.osgi.util.tracker : we may want to embed it
> This is provided by the osgi companion 4.2 jar.

Yeah but we're trying to minimize the dependencies.  Given it's only a
few classes and not a service we depend on, embedding those would
remove the additional dependency.   The problem with the companion jar
is that it is a big jar with optional imports.  If you don't deploy
the servlet api for example, the compendium will still resolve, but
later you might run into problems if you want to deploy servlets.
You'd have to refresh your compendium, leading to a restart of all
blueprint applications.
Might be a bit overkill ...

> Lin

Guillaume Nodet