aries-dev mailing list archives

From Jeremy Hughes <>
Subject Re: How to release
Date Thu, 25 Mar 2010 19:58:48 GMT
On 25 March 2010 17:40, David Jencks <> wrote:
> I already said this on march 1 but there was more stuff in that email so maybe everyone
missed it and I could be considerably more explicit.
> DON"T try to use the root pom to release anything and don't try to release it.  It's
only there for convenience.  Judging by the recent posts I think it causes a lot more trouble
than it is worth and should be removed.

Agreed - we discussed not releasing every top level module anyway.
spi-fly is one. In addition there are four modules in samples
ariestrader-sample, blog, transation-sample and
blueprint-sample-idverifier - but only ariestrader-sample and blog
have instructions on the wiki so I think we should only release those
two. Does this cause an issue? Is it a case of release the whole of
the top level module or none of it, or can we release a subset of the
modules under samples?

> I don't know the exact order to release subprojects in.  Someone will have to figure
it out.  You can't release in the wrong order because there will be snapshots which will
fail the build.  I'm pretty sure it starts:
> - parent
> -eba-maven-plugin
> For each subproject run:
> mvn versions:use-releases
> svn commit -m "updated to latest releases"
> mvn release:prepare -Papache-release
> mvn release:perform -Papache-release

so you prefer doing the first two steps manually - it seems the mvn
release:prepare will handle this interactively. Is there a hidden
dragon in allowing mvn release:prepare doing the versions:use-releases
under the covers? It's a trivial difference, but just something I'd
like to know.

> The first two steps should be unnecessary for the parent pom.
> The versions plugin will find the release candidates from earlier subprojects and update
the poms to use them instead of the snapshots.

Presumably it's finding these in the local .m2 repo rather than on the
nexus staging area?

> thanks
> david jencks

View raw message