aries-dev mailing list archives

From Jeremy Hughes <>
Subject Re: Aries Blueprint spec compliance
Date Mon, 01 Mar 2010 10:47:51 GMT
I know there are many people on this list whose employer is a member
of the OSGi Alliance and hence they have access to OSGi member
materials. Myself included. There are others that aren't so this is
great step forward. I have some questions though:

Do the results of running OSGi Compliance Tests count as confidential
or non-confidential? For example, stack traces and other diagnostic
information produced as the output to failing tests. Consider someone
who signs this NDA and configures a test machine with the appropriate
access controls to run the OSGi CTs for each hudson build. Can the
results be made publicly available? Can even a public yes/no be made
as to whether the CTs pass? This phrase in the NDA is the closest I
could find to this:

"My subsequent use of the general knowledge, skills and experience
that I gain as a result of working with the information will not
constitute a breach of these obligations."

but IANAL and this may just be about not limiting the individual's
subsequent pursuits.

Also, where does this leave people who already have access to the
confidential material through another route (employer for example). I
wouldn't have thought they need to sign this NDA as they are not
receiving this information from the OSGi Alliance via the ASF. Then,
it is down to that person's individual or employer relationship with
the OSGi Alliance as to whether they are permitted to run tests
against Apache Aries and subsequently publish results. I hope there is
a mechanism (SVN revision number for example) of identifying the level
of the CTs that are run.

At this point, it seems this is a discussion better had on a legal
list ... legal@ or jcp@

On 26 February 2010 19:58, Kevan Miller <> wrote:
> On Feb 26, 2010, at 9:16 AM, Alasdair Nottingham wrote:
>> Kevan,
>> Have you made any progress on what can be done here?
> This process may change, but for now you can submit the Apache NDA --
> Fax to US +1-919-573-9199 or email a pdf scanned version to secretary@
> Then send an email to jcp@ Something like:
>   Subject: OSGI CT access
>   I'm a committer on the Apache Aries project and would like access to the OSGi CT.
I've submitted an NDA.
> --kevan

View raw message