aries-dev mailing list archives

From Guillaume Nodet <>
Subject Re: Why are obr.xml files next to pom.xml?
Date Thu, 25 Feb 2010 08:41:07 GMT
On Thu, Feb 25, 2010 at 09:00, David Jencks <> wrote:
> Is this some standard I'm not aware of?  What are these used for?  How?
>  When?  Is this documented somewhere?  They look like repository.xml files,
> is there a good reason for not naming them repository.xml?  And how do they
> differ from what the bundle plugin generates for a bundle?

Those are fragments that are used by the bundle plugin to generate additional
requirements and capabilites.  I've introduced them because the syntax for
the Export-Service / Import-Service headers is insufficient to capture all the
semantics.  Those fragments are used to generate the repository.xml in your

FWIW, I've kept the headers because even if they do not capture the whole
semantic, it still gives a good idea.

One idea that has been proposed is also to enhance the maven bundle plugin
to introspect blueprint bundles so as to find out which services are imported
and exported.  I suppose when it's done, those OBR files can be removed and
maybe even the headers if they are generated.

Makes sense ?

> In geronimo we're experimenting with building up a bundle repository from
> repository.xml, embedded in geronimo plugins, that are constructed from the
> maven dependencies of the plugin.  Our hope is that this will give control
> over the repository contents visible to the server yet allow it to be
> extensible based on what is installed into the server.

I have a small tool on my computer (a hacked version of bindex) which
can be used
to scan a maven repository and turn it into a repository.xml with mvn:
urls in case
you're interested.

> thanks
> david jencks
> On Feb 24, 2010, at 10:35 PM, Guillaume Nodet wrote:
>> Nothing, but that's part of the definition of the bundle, not really
>> it's content per se, so I was thinking it make sense to put it there,
>> but i'd have no problem in moving it in src/main/resources.  Actually,
>> I think it's embedded  in the jar, but that's only because I did not
>> found a way not to.
>> On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 23:54, David Jencks <>
>> wrote:
>>> What is so special about obr.xml files that they aren't in
>>> src/main/resources?
>>> thanks
>>> david jencks
>> --