aries-dev mailing list archives

From Jeremy Hughes <>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Code formatting
Date Tue, 16 Feb 2010 10:25:13 GMT
On 16 February 2010 10:07, Guillaume Nodet <> wrote:
> I'd like aries to try using a single coding standards.
> Specifically, i'd like us to agree on indentation rules (the code uses
> 2 or 4 spaces in different places).
> I'd like to propose the geronimo coding standards which is in use in a
> lot of projects at apache.
> See

I had a quick look. I agree to no tabs and prefer 2 spaces to 4. I
also think this needs to apply to xml.

Whatever the convention is, we should be able to codify it in an
Eclipse code formatter profile (and equivalents for other IDE). If the
formatting convention requires manual steps to apply - i.e. anything
more than: select-all then ctrl-shift-f to format, then I don't think
it will be applied consistently.

> Btw, I really don't think we should enforce those at all cost using
> maven plugins or such,

I didn't know there was one! This actually sounds like a perfectly
reasonable thing to do - like removing compile warnings, and fixing or
filtering issues findbugs finds. So on the face of it I'm actually +1
for this.

> but agreeing on
> those would allow to reformat the code once and not go back and forth
> between different standards.
+1 !!

View raw message