aries-dev mailing list archives

From Kevan Miller <kevan.mil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Q: Persistence.xsd files copyright
Date Tue, 02 Feb 2010 02:05:58 GMT

On Feb 1, 2010, at 11:59 AM, Valentin Mahrwald wrote:

> Hi,
>
> currently we require the persistence schema to be located somewhere on the web (like
http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/persistence/persistence_1_0.xsd. This approach has a couple of
issues
> - the JPA container must be able to access the network
> - the first time we load the schema we incur a speed penalty
> - the JPA2 schema isn't yet available in the canonical java.sun.com/... location.
>
> Now, I have noticed that OpenJPA ships a copy of the persistence.xsd in its binaries.
The file is located under org/apache/openjpa/persistence/persistence.xsd.rsrc.

> Could we potentially do the same in the Aries JPA container? And what license issues
are there to be aware of?

Sure. As you've no doubt noticed persistence.xsd is dual licensed -- GPL and CDDL. For dual-licensed
materials, you must choose a license and note the choice in the NOTICE file.

CDDL has been classified as a "weak copyleft" license by the ASF -- http://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html#category-b

Note that in general, "weak copyleft" licensed binaries are acceptable for an Apache project,
but "weak copyleft" licensed source is not acceptable. There's an importance exception to
this and fits the use case for persistence.xml -- source that is unmodified and unlikely to
be changed (i.e. when it defines a "standard") may be included in an Apache release.

With minor quibbles, I'd say that the OpenJPA LICENSE/NOTICE files are good example of how
to handle:

https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/openjpa/tags/2.0.0-beta/LICENSE.txt
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/openjpa/tags/2.0.0-beta/NOTICE.txt

--kevan