aries-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Applications and subsystems
Date Mon, 15 Feb 2010 21:58:50 GMT

On Feb 15, 2010, at 1:34 PM, Guillaume Nodet wrote:

> Aries applications model is quite similar to the subsytem model being
> discussed in the OSGi EEG.
> I'd like to think that subsytems are more generic than applications,
> or said another way, that applications
> are specialization of subsystems.  Subsystems allow reference to other
> subsystems, scoping, etc...
> I'd like to see how we can make both fits together.  I guess the first
> question to solve it whether we want
> to keep applications the way they are, without advanced features
> provided by subsystems such as
> sharing / scoping, dependencies on other subsytems, etc...
> Once we've answered that, we can think about the way we want to
> support both.
> Thoughts ?

My point of view.... perhaps shared by no one else.... is that an
application would be deployed or installed into a particular
subsystem, but that several apps and plain bundles can all be
installed into a single subsystem.  I'm thinking of an application as
a way to deploy a set of bundles at once, where the "maven-like"
dependencies aren't specified, and where the framework has a way to
resolve the osgi dependencies into maven-like dependencies.

I don't think this idea is expressed in the current code in any way.

david jencks

> --
> Cheers,
> Guillaume Nodet