aries-dev mailing list archives

From Alasdair Nottingham <>
Subject Re: People page for aries
Date Fri, 23 Oct 2009 14:09:38 GMT

Thanks for the information. I have been trying to get my head around
all this. Based on the guidelines, what has been said here and an
attempt to read between the lines I think the idea is that things
operate like this:

Voting is important both in podlings and in top level projects. When
making decisions about how the podling should operate that do not have
legal implications any vote by any member of the PPMC is considered
binding in making decisions. This allows the PPMC to learn the process
of managing the podling. While this is not explicitly covered in the
guides it seems logical to me, and consistent with the goal of the
PPMC learning how to run a project.

When it comes to voting in a new committer I think that while the IPMC
members votes are binding the guidelines say that the PPMC is
responsible for recommending new committers. To gain such a
recommendation a vote is held and the PPMC members votes are binding
(this is not sufficient for committer access to be granted though). If
the decision is to recommend and 3 IPMC members vote then it goes to
the IPMC for silent consensus. If the decision is to recommend and
less than 3 IPMC members vote then it goes to the IPMC for a full vote
as per the process.

When it comes to voting for a release I the same rules should apply as
for voting in a new committer.

I have tried to interpret the rules, but this is the best
interpretation I have come up with.

What do people think?

View raw message