aries-dev mailing list archives

From Guillaume Nodet <>
Subject Re: Licensing problem with the transaction component?
Date Wed, 21 Oct 2009 18:00:57 GMT
I don't follow.  We use the ones from the geronimo jta jar.  We would
not be able to grab those from the JRE as it only contains a few
classes (and not the TransactionManager interface for example), so
that would obviously not work for the transaction component.

On Wed, Oct 21, 2009 at 18:23, Kevan Miller <> wrote:
> On Oct 21, 2009, at 11:57 AM, Guillaume Nodet wrote:
>> I wasn't aware that there was any problem with redistributing those
>> classes.   You're right, we embed those classes from the geronimo spec
>> jar, so I guess the problem is the same as in geronimo.
>> On Wed, Oct 21, 2009 at 16:50, Rick McGuire <> wrote:
>>> I was looking at how the transaction component was building to figure out
>>> how the javax.transaction classes.  If I understand what the build is
>>> doing,
>>> then it appears that the bundle is getting built by directly embedding
>>> the
>>> javax.transaction and javax.transaction.xa from the jvm used to build the
>>> bundle.  I'm nervous that this would cause copyright issues since these
>>> classes are Sun copyrighted IP and I'm not sure that Apache is in the
>>> clear
>>> with redistributing those classes that way.  We've got a similar issue in
>>> Geronimo right now, and I was trying to figure out how this had been
>>> solved
>>> here when I discovered this.  Am I interpreting what's going on with the
>>> build correctly?
> Not sure I completely understand. So, let me replay...
> At buildtime, the transaction component is copying classes from the JDK/JSE
>  libraries into the transaction bundle. If that's the case, then I'd agree
> that's a problem.
> I don't know of any instances where this occurs in Geronimo. I think you're
> referring to a ClassLoading issue involving javax.transaction classes...
> Geronimo has a JTA spec implementation. The transaction component should use
> that instead --
> --kevan

Guillaume Nodet
Open Source SOA