aries-dev mailing list archives

From Kevan Miller <>
Subject Re: Licensing problem with the transaction component?
Date Wed, 21 Oct 2009 16:23:27 GMT

On Oct 21, 2009, at 11:57 AM, Guillaume Nodet wrote:

> I wasn't aware that there was any problem with redistributing those
> classes.   You're right, we embed those classes from the geronimo spec
> jar, so I guess the problem is the same as in geronimo.
> On Wed, Oct 21, 2009 at 16:50, Rick McGuire <> wrote:
>> I was looking at how the transaction component was building to
>> figure out
>> how the javax.transaction classes.  If I understand what the build
>> is doing,
>> then it appears that the bundle is getting built by directly
>> embedding the
>> javax.transaction and javax.transaction.xa from the jvm used to
>> build the
>> bundle.  I'm nervous that this would cause copyright issues since
>> these
>> classes are Sun copyrighted IP and I'm not sure that Apache is in
>> the clear
>> with redistributing those classes that way.  We've got a similar
>> issue in
>> Geronimo right now, and I was trying to figure out how this had
>> been solved
>> here when I discovered this.  Am I interpreting what's going on
>> with the
>> build correctly?

Not sure I completely understand. So, let me replay...

At buildtime, the transaction component is copying classes from the
JDK/JSE  libraries into the transaction bundle. If that's the case,
then I'd agree that's a problem.

I don't know of any instances where this occurs in Geronimo. I think
you're referring to a ClassLoading issue involving javax.transaction

Geronimo has a JTA spec implementation. The transaction component
should use that instead --

View raw message