aries-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>
Subject Re: People page for aries
Date Fri, 16 Oct 2009 15:07:46 GMT

Basically, the PPMC is not an officially recognized entity.   It's not
mentioned in the Apache charter.   They are not board committees.   Etc...
Thus, they have no "legal" standing in the foundation and thus don't have any
binding say in any legal matters.

The Incubator PMC IS a legal entity and does have binding votes.    The most
common votes that this comes up is adding a committer (that requires granting
access to Apache resources, a legal matter) and releasing software (a release
is an official release and needs legal votes).    Adding a PMC (note: PMC, not
PPMC) is another.

Anyway, the "PPMC" really is just an incubator thing to help the podling learn
about Apache processes and such.   Once the project graduates, it will have a
real PMC, so they need to learn to act like one and everything that entails
while in the incubator.  However, until they graduate, the votes aren't really
"binding" for official purposes.   You still need binding IPMC votes for
official things.

A Guillaume mentioned, having the list of IPMC members on your list will help
tally the binding votes when we try to do something official, like releasing
software and adding committers.

Basically, somewhere along the line, Lawyers got involved and all hell broke
loose.   :-)

Dan

--
Daniel Kulp