ariatosca-dev mailing list archives

From Ran Ziv <...@gigaspaces.com>
Subject Re: New mailing lists
Date Sun, 21 May 2017 12:03:31 GMT
Matej, John etc. - The issue we keep coming back to, and the reason we try
to avoid emails, is that discussions on emails are simply much slower than
ones on Slack.

John, regarding summarizing slack conversations on the mailing list
manually - that's possible, but then I feel like we might be getting the
worst of both worlds - someone would have to spend the time summarizing the
conversation, plus it would not be as complete as it would have been had it
been copied in its entirety (or, alternatively, have taken place entirely
over the mailing list). I personally think the bot - assuming we can
improve its format somewhat - is actually more useful in that regard, even
when excluding the work one would have to do to summarize the conversation.

Arthur (and also Tal, who suggested it on Slack) - I'm very much against
moving specifically the daily updates to the mailing list, keeping
everything else on Slack. IMO it makes sense to do it exactly the other way
around. The updates are about things which are in progress, and are much
less relevant to the mailing list than actual discussions and announcements
over completed features etc.

We need to find the right balance between the overhead the mailing list
incurs and the need to have everything logged on the list - and IMO the bot
is the best solution at this time.
However, John, if you think otherwise, even after taking into consideration
what I've mentioned above, then let us know what other flow you suggest
exactly, and we'll follow that instead.

Ran