ariatosca-dev mailing list archives

From Ran Ziv <...@gigaspaces.com>
Subject Questions regarding CI, PR and documentation
Date Thu, 20 Oct 2016 12:38:26 GMT
Hi,

I have some questions for our mentors:

1) CI - we've noticed some Apache projects use online services rather than
the infra tools <https://ci.apache.org/> offered by Apache. We're leaning
towards using TravisCI, however we're somewhat worried that since all
apache projects are under a single github organization, builds in Travis
will take a very long time to start etc..

 Are you aware of any such issues (or perhaps Travis offers some special
QoS to Apache projects or so)..?

2) Pull requests - we're used to reviewing code using PRs on github.
However, since the github repo is merely a mirror, it's impossible to merge
PRs directly on github, which means we have to rebase the PR into the
master branch and close the PR manually.

Do you have any recommendation for a different workflow we could use for
this purpose? Are there possibly any common automation tools from other
projects, which serve for the same purpose as the "merge PR" button on
github?

By the way, I saw on Spark's documentation
<https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/SPARK/Contributing+to+Spark#ContributingtoSpark-PullRequest>
that
they mention the merging as if it were done automatically via github, so
maybe I'm missing something here (or perhaps they do have some kind of
automation for it).

3) Where should project documents and documentation reside at? I've seen
that many projects use confluence for storing development documents (e.g.
contribution guides etc.). If you think that's what we should use as well,
could you please create us such a confluence environment too?

Thanks,
Ran