archive-license mailing list archives

From Scott Eade <se...@backstagetech.com.au>
Subject Importing SourceForge code that uses ASL
Date Fri, 02 Apr 2004 14:11:00 GMT
A while back someone apparently forked the Jakarta Turbine JCS project
to a SourceForge project (http://ehcache.sourceforge.net/) to fix some
bugs and to simplify the code base by reducing the scope of the
functionality it provides.

The SF project is listed as being ASL.  The LICENSE.txt file in the most
recent release (0.7) is ASL 1.1 (Jakarta commons variation), but about 2
weeks ago this was updated in cvs [1] to assign the copyright to a
specific individual (Greg Luck) and the attribution to:

 *       "This product includes software developed by Greg Luck
 *       (http://sourceforge.net/users/gregluck) and contributors.
 *       See http://sourceforge.net/project/memberlist.php?group_id=93232
 *       for a list of contributors"

The license included in the source files was updated at the same time.

There is renewed interest in JCS and someone has offered a patch [2]
that ports all of the bug fixes in Ehcache back to JCS but I am
wondering if there is anything special we need to do to legitimise this
code.

I am suggesting we do the following:
1. Update JCS to use ASL 2.0, as is required anyway.
2. Apply the patches and note the Ehcache attribution in NOTICES.txt

Is this the correct approach?