archiva-users mailing list archives

From Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Error 500 -- Too Many Open Files?
Date Wed, 17 Oct 2012 21:26:00 GMT

On 18/10/2012, at 6:45 AM, Olivier Lamy <olamy@apache.org> wrote:

> 2012/10/17 Stallard,David <stallard@oclc.org>:
>> My impression was that the "M" releases were like early or beta
>> releases, so we were waiting for a version 1.4 (with no "M") to be
>> released before thinking about upgrading.  Do I have the wrong
>> impression of the 1.4 versioning?
> I would say yes you're wrong :-) (but sure I'm not objective :-) ).
> Note this is M3 (not M1 :-) ).
> This is very marketing naming idea.
> I used the last version in a live system and don't see any issues
> (except that's faster :-) ).

Maybe I can put that another way...

David is right in what "milestone" signifies - it's not finished yet. But what Olivier is
getting at is that M3 is already quite stable, particularly when using the older UI, and if
you're having a particular problem with 1.3.5, it might help. The new UI might take another
milestone release to tidy up any bugs that get found as more people use it.

As far as your original problem, what was fixed in that ticket was a specific leak that was
causing a number of problems, much faster than 4 or 5 months (also why raising limits didn't
work). For your case, it's probably manageable enough that it isn't worth spending a lot of
time trying to figure out the cause, especially when there have been substantial improvements
in the next version already.

HTH,
Brett

--