archiva-users mailing list archives

From Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Limit memory usage for Archiva
Date Tue, 29 May 2012 10:42:53 GMT
The "maxmemory" setting is -Xmx, which is just the heap size. The JVM allocates more memory
than that, such as for the permgen and the stack.

You might need to set the -XX:MaxPermSize parameter as well as the maxmemory. If you are on
64-bit, you can save some memory with -XX:+UseCompressedOops, or running in 32-bit mode.

However, depending on the amount of traffic you expect to do and the amount of data it will
process, you might want to dedicate that server to repository management. 512m is about the
right amount to adequately process any indexing and scanning tasks without spending a lot
of time garbage collecting.

- Brett

On 29/05/2012, at 8:03 PM, Olivier Lamy wrote:

> Hi,
>

> 2012/5/29 Erwin Mueller <erwin.mueller@deventm.org>:
>> Hello,
>> how can I limit the memory usage for Archiva? I have only a 512MB RAM server
>> available, and Archiva is using 50% of the RAM.
>>
>> I like to know how to set a hard limit on the RAM available for Archiva and
>> tips how I can minimize the RAM usage of Archiva.
>>
>> I thought that the wrapper.conf can set a hard limit, but it's not working
>> (Archiva is using 514M virtual and 254M resources, but the limit is set to
>> 256M). I added/changed in wrapper.conf:
>>
>> wrapper.java.additional.7=-Xms256m
>> wrapper.java.additional.8=-Xmx256m
>> wrapper.java.initmemory=256
>> wrapper.java.maxmemory=256
>
> Yup that's normally the setup to change.
> Which version Archiva are you using ?
> How do you take your figures on memory usage ?
>

>> Kind regards,
>> Erwin.
>>
>> --
>> Erwin Mueller