archiva-users mailing list archives

From Deng Ching <och...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Question about proxying remote repositories containing snapshots...
Date Tue, 17 Apr 2012 15:24:43 GMT
On Tue, Apr 17, 2012 at 2:57 AM, Jeff <predatorvi@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have a "snapshot" repository currently used for internal snapshots as
> well as an "Internal" repository to contain both internal release artifacts
> as well as caching remote repository artifacts via proxy connectors.
>
> When I set up the "Internal" repository, I disabled the "Snapshots
> Included" setting.
>
> If I want to setup an external 3rd party SNAPSHOT repository to get access
> to a release candidate build from an external repo, do I connect that
> proxy

to my "snapshots" repository or connect it to "Internal" repository?

Hmm, I'm a bit lost here.. why not just create the 3rd party SNAPSHOT repo
in the same Archiva instance and have it proxy the external repo where the
release candidate build is?

>  If
> connected to "Internal", do I enable or disable the "Snapshots Included"
> setting?
>
> It isn't clear to me if the "Snapshots Included" setting only applies to
> publishing builds or how it resolves artifact requests....

It's more for the benefit of publishing builds and has nothing to do with
resolving artifact requests. IIRC, that setting is mainly used as a quick
identifier whether the repository contains snapshots and/or releases for
administration purposes and for repo purge.

I would suggest that you keep your snapshot artifacts from released ones
then also keep your internal releases and internal snapshots build separate
from your proxy repositories. This would give you better control over who
can access which artifacts. You can create a repository group for all your
repositories (internal, snapshots, internal-releases, etc.) so you can just
point to one url to access all the artifacts. Check out the link below for
more details on this.

http://archiva.apache.org/docs/1.3.5/userguide/virtual-repositories.html

Thanks,
Deng