archiva-users mailing list archives

From John DeStefano <john.destef...@gmail.com>
Subject Archiva logging configuration for RHEL 6
Date Wed, 07 Mar 2012 21:02:11 GMT
Hello,

I had a bit of trouble installing the latest Archiva .WAR (1.3.5) into
a fresh Tomcat 6 (6.0.24-35) installation on a fresh RHEL 6.2
instance.  After some running around, I found that Tomcat 6 for RHEL 6
no longer ships with nor loads a `setenv.sh` script via which to load
environment values (such as $CATALINA_HOME) on start.  As a result,
Archiva would fail to load, as it defaulted to looking for a log
directory in /logs, which doesn't exist by default and which it can't
create.

In this case, I would have thought the work-around would be to edit
application.properties (in webapps after the .WAR is decompressed)
with a hard-coded location to the Tomcat log directory for
appserver.base (and appserver.home).  However, hard-coding an absolute
path here (and in other configuration areas) seems to be ignored, and
Archiva continues to require and write to /logs.  I then had to also
edit log4j.xml to add absolute paths to each of the log file entries
to stop the logging madness.  But this makes me wonder where else I'd
need to look for and change values manually.

Is there a more elegant method of getting Tomcat to recognize and pass
along the proper values to Archiva in RHEL 6?

Also, I now get a string of following Catalina severe log entries [1]
on service stop and wonder whether they're related.

Thanks,
~John

[1] ...
Mar 7, 2012 3:54:36 PM org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader
clearReferencesThreads
SEVERE: A web application appears to have started a thread named
[Timer-0] but has failed to stop it. This is very likely to create a
memory leak.
Mar 7, 2012 3:54:36 PM org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader
clearReferencesThreads
SEVERE: A web application appears to have started a thread named
[derby.antiGC] but has failed to stop it. This is very likely to
create a memory leak.
Mar 7, 2012 3:54:36 PM org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader
clearReferencesThreads
SEVERE: A web application appears to have started a thread named
[derby.rawStoreDaemon] but has failed to stop it. This is very likely
to create a memory leak.
Mar 7, 2012 3:54:36 PM org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader
clearReferencesThreads
SEVERE: A web application appears to have started a thread named
[derby.rawStoreDaemon] but has failed to stop it. This is very likely
to create a memory leak.
Mar 7, 2012 3:54:36 PM org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader
clearThreadLocalMap
SEVERE: A web application created a ThreadLocal with key of type
[null] (value [com.opensymphony.xwork2.inject.ContainerImpl$10@257b3135])
and a value of type [com.opensymphony.xwork2.inject.InternalContext[]]
(value [[Lcom.opensymphony.xwork2.inject.InternalContext;@3adba1cc])
but failed to remove it when the web application was stopped. To
prevent a memory leak, the ThreadLocal has been forcibly removed.
Mar 7, 2012 3:54:36 PM org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader
clearThreadLocalMap
SEVERE: A web application created a ThreadLocal with key of type
[org.springframework.core.NamedThreadLocal] (value [Prototype beans
currently in creation]) and a value of type [null] (value [null]) but
failed to remove it when the web application was stopped. To prevent a
memory leak, the ThreadLocal has been forcibly removed.
Mar 7, 2012 3:54:36 PM org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader
clearThreadLocalMap
SEVERE: A web application created a ThreadLocal with key of type
[org.springframework.core.NamedThreadLocal] (value [XML bean
definition resources currently being loaded]) and a value of type
[null] (value [null]) but failed to remove it when the web application
was stopped. To prevent a memory leak, the ThreadLocal has been
forcibly removed.
Mar 7, 2012 3:54:36 PM org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader
clearThreadLocalMap
SEVERE: A web application created a ThreadLocal with key of type
[com.opensymphony.xwork2.ActionContext.ActionContextThreadLocal]
(value [com.opensymphony.xwork2.ActionContext$ActionContextThreadLocal@33b17f92])
and a value of type [com.opensymphony.xwork2.ActionContext] (value
[com.opensymphony.xwork2.ActionContext@4a2e64c1]) but failed to remove