archiva-users mailing list archives

From Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>
Subject Re: 100% CPU in Archiva 1.3.5
Date Sat, 29 Oct 2011 00:44:08 GMT

On 29/10/2011, at 5:24 AM, Stallard,David wrote:

> Here's the latest update.  Throughout the day Thursday, the indexing
> queue gradually climed from 19,000 to 23,000.  I figured that maybe
> after hours when there's less activity, it would make headway.  But
> Friday morning, the queue was at 27,000.
>
> I had to bounce it because some users were reporting 405 errors when
> trying to upload to Archiva.  After the bounce, the queue was very
> small...it started at 3 and slowly climbed, it was at 898 when the
> hourly indexes kicked in.  The bounce did seem to fix the 405 errors
> though.
>
> But then this afternoon, we got reports of 405 errors again.  I bounced,
> and the queue was at 0!  During this time, CPU usage was normal...the
> archiva java process was using trivial CPU.  But then the queue went up
> to 3, and now we have 100% CPU usage again.
>
> So it appears that ANY indexing queue at all causes us to hit 100% CPU.
> The queue is currently at 7...I'm not sure how often it actually is
> empty.

It's not unexpected that indexing drives it to 100% CPU momentarily, but causing it to become
unavailable is unusual.

How big are the artifacts it is scanning?

> I see that 1.4-M1 was released a few days ago...does it include anything
> that might address this?

It has quite significant performance improvements and a new version of the indexer... but
it is not a production release, and has some other issues still to be fixed. I would try to
get past the issue on 1.3.5 first.

- Brett

--
Brett Porter