archiva-users mailing list archives

From Cristiano Costantini <cristiano.costant...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Archiva very slow -
Date Sat, 16 Jul 2011 11:11:26 GMT
Hi Brett thank you for your reply (I admit it, I explicitly quoted a
sentence from your book for raising your attention ;-) )

well, no, it was really 404, so it was a "Not Found", and it was given back
by the remote repository to Archiva. The reason of the slowness was that
Archiva was sending out HTTP requests for artifact while they should have
been cached.
Now I've changed the configuration to a single Repository Proxy Connector
mapped to a single Managed Repository which caches ALL the artifacts and it
works fast as expected.
Considering this, I think that problem was on the Repository Groups!
It seems that the Repository Group with two Managed Repositories containing
remote Proxy Connection, does not work well as a cache: if the artifact is
found on the second of the two Managed Repositories, requesting the artifact
to the Repository Group makes Archiva first search the artifact on the first
Repository, which make HTTP requests (returning 404), and then search the
Artifact on the second Repository, where the cache works (Archiva make no
more HTTP requests).

To be more clear, my previous configuration (the slow one) was something
like this:

Repository Group: "public"
 |-- Managed repository: "releases"
 |-- Managed repository: "snapshots"
 |-- Managed repository: "externals"
 |    \-- Proxy Connectors
 |         |-- http://repo1.maven.org/maven2
 |         |-- http://download.java.net/maven/2/
 |         |-- http://repository.jboss.com/maven2/
 |         |-- ...
 \-- Managed repository: "temp"
      \-- Proxy Connectors
           |-- http://people.apache.org/repo/m2-incubating-repository/
           |-- http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/servicemix/m2-repo
           |-- http://s3.amazonaws.com/maven.springframework.org/milestone
           |-- ...

This is the configuration I use now which is no more slow:

Managed repository: "releases"
Managed repository: "snapshots"
Managed repository: "public"
 \-- Proxy Connectors
      |-- http://repo1.maven.org/maven2
      |-- http://download.java.net/maven/2/
      |-- http://repository.jboss.com/maven2/
      |-- ...
      |-- http://people.apache.org/repo/m2-incubating-repository/
      |-- http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/servicemix/m2-repo
       |-- http://s3.amazonaws.com/maven.springframework.org/milestone
      |-- ...

My first set-up was intended to separate all the artifacts coming from
unknown/untrusted repositories so that I can (try to) eliminate them from my
dependencies.
The second set-up solves slowness issues but now I can't no more investigate
on the dependencies coming from these repositories...

Another question, which may be a work around for me: is there a possibility
to know from which URL a cached artifact has been downloaded? Does Archiva
logs this information? Does it would be easy to write a fix by myself?

thank you all,
have a nice weekend.

Cristiano