archiva-users mailing list archives

From Igor Galić <i.ga...@brainsware.org>
Subject Error transferring file: Connection timed out
Date Wed, 29 Dec 2010 14:57:43 GMT

This subject is not true.

Hey folks,

I'm running Arichva 1.3.1 in Tomcat 6.0.18 (jdk 1.6.0_18-b07 on Solaris/x86).
I'm getting tons of ``errors'' of this kind:

2010-12-29 14:28:00,528 [http-80-14] WARN  org.apache.maven.archiva.proxy.DefaultRepositoryProxyConnectors
 - Transfer error from repository "opensaml-repo" for versioned Metadata com/bw/stuff/stuffFullEA/maven-metadata.xml,
continuing to next repository. Error message: Download failure on resource [http://shibboleth.internet2.edu/downloads/maven2/com/bw/stuff/stuffFullEA/maven-metadata.xml]:Error
transferring file: Connection timed out (cause: java.net.ConnectException: Connection timed
out)

The funny facts:

*) "opensaml-repo" is the last in the list, yet it's causing downloads of this file to hang,
and builds to fail (maven is far less patient than a browser)

*) when running curl, I'm getting a 404 (as expected), NOT a timeout.

*) first two repositories are the ones we're trying to replace by archiva. They deliver the
document within miliseconds.

*) This does not only to happen with the maven-metadata.xml file - but only for text files,
not for binary files
(.pom, .sha1)

*) it only happens for opensaml-repo

*) it stopped happening after a restart of Tomcat.

Upgrade to 1.3.3 is planned, yes. But: Will it mitigate these errors?

I really don't like to use my users as a monitoring system.
(It's very hard to monitor this kind of behaviour automatically, since it
doesn't happen for all files consistently.)

So long,

Igor Galić

Tel: +43 (0) 664 886 22 883
Mail: i.galic@brainsware.org