archiva-users mailing list archives

From "Wendy Smoak" <wsm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Which maven repository manager for high availability ?
Date Wed, 17 Oct 2007 14:50:09 GMT
On 10/17/07, Matthieu Godlewski <Matthieu.Godlewski@reuters.com> wrote:

> We're currently studying the maven repository manager of the market.
> Only two of them stay in game: Archiva and Artifactory.

:)

> The chosen solution should fulfill our high availability requirement.
> The available documentation on this point is pretty poor for Archiva:
>
> http://docs.codehaus.org/display/MAVENUSER/High+Availability+Archiva

(Confluence is down atm so I can't check, but,) What do you want to know?

Past confirming that Archiva has the features you need and is stable,
most of the work I've done with making it highly available has been
hardware and network related.

As an example configuration, we have two servers running Archiva
(actually, Maestro,) with a virtual IP device in front.  Everyone uses
a single url that goes to the VIP, which monitors port 8080 on the
servers to see which one is available.  Right now it's done as
failover to a hot standby, but we eventually want it load balanced,
and will add more repository servers as necessary.  We've also
switched to MySQL for the user database, to take advantage of its
replication and admin features.

The Artifactory docs seem to be talking about having multiple
distributed servers.   That should also work fine with Archiva, you
could configure them to proxy requests in some hierarchy.

In my case, all the project infrastructure is collocated, so
distributed doesn't make sense, but it might for you.

--
Wendy