archiva-dev mailing list archives

From Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Archiva memory settings and stability
Date Mon, 16 Jan 2012 09:38:36 GMT
2012/1/5 Brett Porter <brett@apache.org>:

> On 05/01/2012, at 7:08 PM, Olivier Lamy wrote:
>
>> 2012/1/5 Brett Porter <brett@apache.org>:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> In MRM-1549, the -Xms was increased to 512m. This is very high for a starting
point - would it be better to use the default settings, but let it grow to the upper setting?
It is quite costly on memory when I run it on my local machine.
>> Not xmas RAM ? :-)
>
> Hehe, no problem on the main machine (except for the VMs it has going too), but it's
more useful on the laptop when I'm offline and need to conserve RAM and CPU... :)

>>> A couple of years back I did a lot of profiling to try and get it as lean as
possible, so that we could run a minimal instance - this is something I'd like to do again
before 1.4. Between the large number of classes to load and other memory use it's becoming
impractical to run that way again :)

>> I usually like having -Xms to prevent later slower allocation.
>> But as it's something easily configurable: no problem.
>
> Understood - maybe we should also really consider again two distributions (minimal proxy
& full application).

> I guess I can tweak the settings locally as well.
>

>> BTW removing xmlrpc will decrease number of loaded classes. (and
>> moving to a plain html/js will remove struts classes loading too: more
>> longer task :-) ).
>
> Right...

And btw not using the plexus-sisu-guice stuff could help too.
But need to have wagon and maven-indexer in a non plexus dependant
writing style.
That's really an other story ... :-)

>>> Also, I've noticed that the latest milestones are still not very stable on vmbuild,
restarting once or twice a day. Is anyone else seeing similar problems?

>> No I'm not aware of that.
>> Any logs or stacktrace or dump available ?
>
> I need to poke at it some more (I think you also have access still?). I think it's just
a lot of GC but I could be wrong.

--
Olivier Lamy
Talend: http://coders.talend.com