archiva-dev mailing list archives

From Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Archiva memory settings and stability
Date Thu, 05 Jan 2012 11:31:48 GMT

On 05/01/2012, at 7:08 PM, Olivier Lamy wrote:

> 2012/1/5 Brett Porter <brett@apache.org>:
>> Hi,
>>
>> In MRM-1549, the -Xms was increased to 512m. This is very high for a starting point
- would it be better to use the default settings, but let it grow to the upper setting? It
is quite costly on memory when I run it on my local machine.
> Not xmas RAM ? :-)

Hehe, no problem on the main machine (except for the VMs it has going too), but it's more
useful on the laptop when I'm offline and need to conserve RAM and CPU... :)

>> A couple of years back I did a lot of profiling to try and get it as lean as possible,
so that we could run a minimal instance - this is something I'd like to do again before 1.4.
Between the large number of classes to load and other memory use it's becoming impractical
to run that way again :)

> I usually like having -Xms to prevent later slower allocation.
> But as it's something easily configurable: no problem.

Understood - maybe we should also really consider again two distributions (minimal proxy &
full application).

I guess I can tweak the settings locally as well.

> BTW removing xmlrpc will decrease number of loaded classes. (and
> moving to a plain html/js will remove struts classes loading too: more
> longer task :-) ).

Right...

>> Also, I've noticed that the latest milestones are still not very stable on vmbuild,
restarting once or twice a day. Is anyone else seeing similar problems?

> No I'm not aware of that.
> Any logs or stacktrace or dump available ?

I need to poke at it some more (I think you also have access still?). I think it's just a
lot of GC but I could be wrong.

- Brett

--
Brett Porter