archiva-dev mailing list archives

From Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Archiva refactoring
Date Thu, 04 Aug 2011 16:56:28 GMT
Hello,
I have started add content in
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/ARCHIVA/Archiva+Roadmap .
Next step I will create related jira entries and probably related page
for some items.

Feel free to fix content in the page and/or add comments.

2011/8/4 Brett Porter <brett@apache.org>:

> On 04/08/2011, at 8:33 AM, Olivier Lamy wrote:

>>> What's still left to be done for that? Anything that would block us shipping
if the other metadata related bugs were sorted out?

>> Nothing except more testing and releasing redback and companions.
>
> Cool - let me know if there's something I can help with there. I had it in mind that
it was still a work in progress.

>> what the bugs regarding metadata ?
>
> Things I broke with changes to the repository API :)

>>> Cool!
>>>
>>> Is your plan to start by mirroring the xmlrpc ones? Will you be leaving them
there?

>> Perso I'd like to remove xmlrpc ones :-). But if it's used they can
>> stay. No real ideas about who consume those.
>
> I'm using them, so I can help make sure they still work at least for the next release.
>

>>> I'm fine with that - though I presume you're using JAX-RS and it wouldn't be
too hard to switch?
>> Yup that's the goal to use standard jax-rs (and NOT spring annotations)
>> My idea is to expose services on both xml and json.
>
> Great - was going to suggest both those things.
>

>>> My only concern with CXF is it has a lot of dependencies, and Archiva already
needs a diet - something we need to keep an eye on :)
>> Agree the war is huge. (with removing xmlrpc we can maybe cleanup :P ).
>>
>> An other idea I have is to provide a tomcat install rather than the
>> jetty (asf dogfood again), an "embeded" archiva version (ie runnable
>> for testing) and/or something easy to install/run with a simple : java
>> -jar archiva.war :-)
>
> Agree these are all good things. I like the Jetty one, but having a few different distributions
(including slim ones with less functionality) has long been a goal of mine.

>> BTW my plan is to start with redback. (with providing sample ui with
>> other techs).
>>
>> At the end we will have to choose the ui tech we will use.
>> As I remember we talked about gwt or vaadin.
>> IMHO if we try to add an ui plugin mechanism it will be more easy with vaadin.
>
> I like the look of vaadin (still haven't used it in anger though) - the concern I heard
raised from Emmanuel was that it was network heavy.

>> And with this there is the question about this plugin mechanism
>> (dynamic or not ?).
>> If dynamic the only solution will be using osgi (but a more long term
>> feature :-) ).
>
> This might be something good to just start doing and have some bits dynamic and lots
of legacy, then gradually break it up...

>> An other long term is to move to shiro to not have to maintain redback.
>>

> Agree, or at least make Redback a wrapper around Shiro so it's a lot smaller. Back to
that list you mentioned before, if we can let go of some features it might get easier.

--
Olivier Lamy
Talend : http://talend.com