archiva-dev mailing list archives

From Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Archiva refactoring
Date Fri, 05 Aug 2011 14:10:57 GMT
Thanks Olivier, I'll try and look at updating the page over the weekend.

- Brett

On 05/08/2011, at 2:56 AM, Olivier Lamy wrote:

> Hello,
> I have started add content in
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/ARCHIVA/Archiva+Roadmap .
> Next step I will create related jira entries and probably related page
> for some items.
>
> Feel free to fix content in the page and/or add comments.
>
> 2011/8/4 Brett Porter <brett@apache.org>:

if the other metadata related bugs were sorted out?

>>> Nothing except more testing and releasing redback and companions.
>>
>> Cool - let me know if there's something I can help with there. I had it in mind that
it was still a work in progress.

>>> what the bugs regarding metadata ?
>>
>> Things I broke with changes to the repository API :)

>>> Perso I'd like to remove xmlrpc ones :-). But if it's used they can
>>> stay. No real ideas about who consume those.
>>
>> I'm using them, so I can help make sure they still work at least for the next release.

>>> Yup that's the goal to use standard jax-rs (and NOT spring annotations)
>>> My idea is to expose services on both xml and json.
>>
>> Great - was going to suggest both those things.

needs a diet - something we need to keep an eye on :)
>>> Agree the war is huge. (with removing xmlrpc we can maybe cleanup :P ).
>>>
>>> An other idea I have is to provide a tomcat install rather than the
>>> jetty (asf dogfood again), an "embeded" archiva version (ie runnable
>>> for testing) and/or something easy to install/run with a simple : java
>>> -jar archiva.war :-)
>>
>> Agree these are all good things. I like the Jetty one, but having a few different
distributions (including slim ones with less functionality) has long been a goal of mine.

>>> BTW my plan is to start with redback. (with providing sample ui with
>>> other techs).
>>>
>>> At the end we will have to choose the ui tech we will use.
>>> As I remember we talked about gwt or vaadin.
>>> IMHO if we try to add an ui plugin mechanism it will be more easy with vaadin.
>>
>> I like the look of vaadin (still haven't used it in anger though) - the concern I
heard raised from Emmanuel was that it was network heavy.

>>> And with this there is the question about this plugin mechanism
>>> (dynamic or not ?).
>>> If dynamic the only solution will be using osgi (but a more long term
>>> feature :-) ).
>>
>> This might be something good to just start doing and have some bits dynamic and lots
of legacy, then gradually break it up...

>>> An other long term is to move to shiro to not have to maintain redback.
>>>

>> Agree, or at least make Redback a wrapper around Shiro so it's a lot smaller. Back
to that list you mentioned before, if we can let go of some features it might get easier.