archiva-dev mailing list archives

From Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Archiva refactoring
Date Thu, 04 Aug 2011 00:24:07 GMT

On 04/08/2011, at 8:33 AM, Olivier Lamy wrote:

> 2011/8/3 Brett Porter <brett@apache.org>:
>>
>> On 04/08/2011, at 1:50 AM, Olivier Lamy wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Folks,
>>> I'd like to continue working on the refactoring. Most of the part
>>> (removing plexus stuff is mostly done).
>>
>> What's still left to be done for that? Anything that would block us shipping if the
other metadata related bugs were sorted out?

> Nothing except more testing and releasing redback and companions.

Cool - let me know if there's something I can help with there. I had it in mind that it was
still a work in progress.

> what the bugs regarding metadata ?

Things I broke with changes to the repository API :)

>>> Now the next step is probably to expose our apis (redback, archiva)
>>> tru REST services.
>>> IMHO with this we will be able to refactor ui more easily (and maybe
>>> write different ui technologies)
>>
>> Cool!
>>
>> Is your plan to start by mirroring the xmlrpc ones? Will you be leaving them there?
>
> Perso I'd like to remove xmlrpc ones :-). But if it's used they can
> stay. No real ideas about who consume those.

I'm using them, so I can help make sure they still work at least for the next release.

>> I'm fine with that - though I presume you're using JAX-RS and it wouldn't be too
hard to switch?
> Yup that's the goal to use standard jax-rs (and NOT spring annotations)
> My idea is to expose services on both xml and json.

Great - was going to suggest both those things.

>> My only concern with CXF is it has a lot of dependencies, and Archiva already needs
a diet - something we need to keep an eye on :)
> Agree the war is huge. (with removing xmlrpc we can maybe cleanup :P ).
>
> An other idea I have is to provide a tomcat install rather than the
> jetty (asf dogfood again), an "embeded" archiva version (ie runnable
> for testing) and/or something easy to install/run with a simple : java
> -jar archiva.war :-)

Agree these are all good things. I like the Jetty one, but having a few different distributions
(including slim ones with less functionality) has long been a goal of mine.

> BTW my plan is to start with redback. (with providing sample ui with
> other techs).
>
> At the end we will have to choose the ui tech we will use.
> As I remember we talked about gwt or vaadin.
> IMHO if we try to add an ui plugin mechanism it will be more easy with vaadin.

I like the look of vaadin (still haven't used it in anger though) - the concern I heard raised
from Emmanuel was that it was network heavy.

> And with this there is the question about this plugin mechanism
> (dynamic or not ?).
> If dynamic the only solution will be using osgi (but a more long term
> feature :-) ).

This might be something good to just start doing and have some bits dynamic and lots of legacy,
then gradually break it up...

> An other long term is to move to shiro to not have to maintain redback.

Agree, or at least make Redback a wrapper around Shiro so it's a lot smaller. Back to that
list you mentioned before, if we can let go of some features it might get easier.

On 04/08/2011, at 8:52 AM, Olivier Lamy wrote:

> I will sum up this here
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/ARCHIVA/Features+Dev
>
> (after sleeping :-) )

Also: https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/ARCHIVA/Archiva+Roadmap