archiva-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Deng Ching <och...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Release trunk
Date Sat, 25 Sep 2010 04:13:09 GMT
On Wed, Sep 15, 2010 at 2:27 PM, Brett Porter <brett@apache.org> wrote:
>
> On 15/09/2010, at 2:05 PM, Deng Ching wrote:
>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> Any objections in doing a milestone release of trunk before we merge
>> MRM-980 branch?
>
> Depends on the intent...
>
> Clearly there are a lot of good improvements in trunk already, both in terms of performance
/ bugs and a couple of new features like the arbitrary metadata.
>
> However, if MRM-980 is done and just needs to be merged, I don't see any reason to wait
unless we don't feel it's up to the same level of quality as the rest of trunk. Is that the
case?

Yes, I think we can already merge it. As for the UI for MRM-980, there
is still a lot of room for improvement but this can be worked on in
trunk after the merge.

>
> As for trunk, while the refactoring work is production ready, the file store is not.
It's not far from being ready, and I know leaving trunk "unreleasable" was less than ideal.
I don't mind it being in a release, but I'd only commit to make an upgrade path from 1.[1|2|3]
-> 1.4, not through the interim releases. In other words, if we release it as is, they
need to be prepared to rescan their repository regularly. I think such a release would be
an alpha, not a milestone, despite our previous naming conventions.

I agree, the release should be an alpha release instead of a milestone.

>
> So, the question is who the audience / intent is - do we want people to kick the tires
on the refactoring, find bugs, and release an alpha now? Do we want people to try out the
new features and release an alpha/milestone with that? Or do we really just want to push to
what's needed for a release?

The last one I would think.

>
> I think I'm fine with either an alpha release now (as long as another one follows quickly),
or one with the branch merged in now. Either way, we should push forward to get 1.4 wrapped
up in October.

I vote for the latter -- merge first then do an alpha release after.


Thanks,
Deng

Mime
View raw message