archiva-dev mailing list archives

From Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>
Subject Re: A few notes on new repository API
Date Fri, 18 Jun 2010 04:45:36 GMT

On 18/06/2010, at 1:34 AM, Wendy Smoak wrote:

> Separately, would having two Archiva instances trying to update the
> metadata repository at the same time be problematic?  Before with the
> database we would certainly have never tried pointing two instances at
> the same database...

For the current File implementation - there's no caching, but also no FS-level locking. There's
potential for contention in writes if it were shared. Because everything is done on the fly,
you could give them separate metadata stores - but that wouldn't work for storing custom metadata
like Deng has implemented.

So moving forward with this we need a better implementation. This is why I'm leaning to JCR
- it has all the mechanics for replication and locking built it (or you can back it onto a
database and use whatever is natural there).

It very much depends on the use case and we might want to partition the content repository
into parts that are 'generated' and that which is intended to be permanent.

- Brett

--
Brett Porter
brett@apache.org