archiva-dev mailing list archives

From Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Staging repositories (was: Re: GSoC projects?)
Date Mon, 12 Apr 2010 06:23:08 GMT

On 12/04/2010, at 3:25 PM, Eshan Sudharaka wrote:

> hi Brett,
> i have already posted my proposal to the gsoc site.Could you please check it
> and if there are any unclear parts or conflicts things please let me
> inform.I saw deng has already put comment on it.

Yes, I've seen it - but not everyone on this list can :) I thought it might be best to summarise
here instead (or on the wiki when it is back up).

My main comments would be the same as below - I'd like there to be at least one staging repo
per managed repo and minimal admin work.

For permissions, I'm not sure we need new ones, just separate ones for staging & managed
resources (when the wiki is back up, I can point to the document that says what roles, permissions
and resources are). As an example, say you have repo "releases" and attached repo "releases-staged".
There's no need to block read access to stage - you can give out the normal repo read permission
(and limit it to QAs or keep it as the same as the main repo). Whoever has write perms to
releases-staged can stage a release, whoever has write permissions to releases can promote
a release. I would say write permissions to "releases" implies r/w permissions to "releases-staged",
but nothing else is implied.

- Brett