archiva-dev mailing list archives

From Wendy Smoak <wsm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: GSoC projects?
Date Mon, 29 Mar 2010 01:22:08 GMT
On Sun, Mar 28, 2010 at 8:47 PM, James Dumay <jdumay@atlassian.com> wrote:
> It would be amazing if we could back the entire application onto something
> like git or mercurial (including artifacts and metadata) so that we could
> have VCS-like auditing abilities. No Maven repository I am aware of can deal
> with versioning yet.

I believe the Nexus guys tried it (with svn) and said it was just too
slow.  Subversion, at least, isn't optimized for dealing with large
binary files.

Since artifacts don't change after they are deployed, I don't see much
benefit of putting them under version control.  (And often a Maven
conversion involves getting jars *out* of the version control system.
:) )

Archiva has audit logs... perhaps improving those and providing
whatever search/reporting is missing would be a better way to go?

--
Wendy