archiva-dev mailing list archives

From Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>
Subject Re: how should snapshots look on the project page?
Date Mon, 21 Dec 2009 03:14:07 GMT

On 17/12/2009, at 6:04 PM, Deng Ching wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 17, 2009 at 12:30 PM, Brett Porter <brett@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> So, currently the project page is a bit funny:
>> - it only appears under /browse/.../1.0-SNAPSHOT/  (since it's looking for
>> the project version, not the artifact version)
>> - it lists the artifact versions under "other versions"
>> - all the artifact versions are listed in the download box
>>

> Just a clarification.. when browsing at the artifactId level, you'll only
> see 1.0-SNAPSHOT or 7.0.1 in the list of versions right?

yep

> I'm fine with this implementation, but maybe change "Other Versions" to
> "Artifact Versions" and make the difference between the "project version"
> and "artifact version(s)" clear in the docs  :)

agreed

>> I think there's some alternatives:
>> 1) list the versions by artifact instead of by project (making the page an
>> "artifact" page instead of a project page)
>> 2) keep the current, but allow clicking through to the per-artifact
>> versions (again making it an artifact page instead of a project page, but
>> the higher pages in browse still reflect project versions)
>>

> In the current implementation, I thought you can also click through to the
> per-artifact versions?

Yes, in v1.2.x. I meant current as in, what's on the branch now. The change to the query infrastructure
has impacted how it appears.

>> 3) continue as is, list only the latest version of an artifact, click
>> through to the bare repository if you need older artifacts
>> 4) adjust the page to list all, categorised by version, in the download box
>> (perhaps folding the old ones by default). This makes it a project-centric
>> page
>>

> I'm also fine with #4 as an alternative :)

If there's no other objections, I'll go ahead with this one then. It allows the browse actions
to be doing less "smarts" and provides a more natural view and less congested search results,
IMO.

Thanks,
Brett

--