archiva-dev mailing list archives

From Marc Lustig ...@marclustig.com>
Subject Proposal: concurrent remote-requests
Date Wed, 14 Oct 2009 13:06:18 GMT

Hi all,

we have configured about 25 remote-repos for our public-artifacts managed
repo.
In certain cases, black and white lists don't help and a request is proxied
to all the 20 remote-repos _sequentially_. Even thou we have configured a
short timeout of 5 secs, this takes 125 secs in case the artifacts doesn't
exist in any remote-repo - per artifact!

So I was wondering if it would make sense to send requests to all of the
remote-repos _concurrently_.
The first thread that find the artifacts could cause all the other threads
to cancel the http-request.
The total request time would reduce from 100 secs++ to merely 5 secs.
Tremendous win or?

Has this been discussed before?
Is there an argument against this strategy?

The implementation could be based on a thread-pool, or rather a pool of
thread-pools.

greetings
Marc