archiva-dev mailing list archives

From Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Re-using version numbers (was: Re: [VOTE] Release Archiva 1.2.2 (Take 2))
Date Mon, 31 Aug 2009 02:37:48 GMT
On 31/08/2009, at 2:18 AM, Wendy Smoak wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 27, 2009 at 3:31 AM, Deng Ching<oching@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> The staging repository where the binaries, including the sources,
>> signatures
>> and checksums, is here:
>>
>> http://vmbuild.apache.org/archiva/repository/staged-archiva/
>
> I'm having that uncomfortable "Do I have the *right* 1.2.2?" feeling.
> It looks like 1.2.2 was made available for download on Aug 24th and
> replaced on Aug 27th.  That means we potentially have two different
> 1.2.2's floating around out there.
>
> I added a line to the release process wiki advising against re-using
> version numbers after a version has been made available for public
> download.  IMO we should have just moved on to 1.2.3 after a blocking
> issue was found in 1.2.2.  Version numbers are free. :)

While that process was adopted in Continuum, it has never been adopted
here. Are you suggesting we change the release process in a similar way?

You can check if you got the right one by checking the checksums or
signatures against the current distribution site. Perhaps we can bake
the SVN revision and time/date in as well...

- Brett