archiva-dev mailing list archives

From Deng Ching <och...@apache.org>
Subject Re: OMG RAS on Archiva
Date Tue, 31 Mar 2009 10:36:37 GMT
Hi Felipe,

On Sun, Mar 29, 2009 at 6:46 AM, Felipe Roos da Rosa
<feliperoos@yahoo.com>wrote:

> Hi Folks!
>
> I'm planning to implement OMG Reusable Asset Specification within Archiva.
> The "quest" involves having archiva supporting the .ras file format, which
> is a zip file with a xml descriptor in it, and also supporting HTTP request
> for searching artifacts and download them. First part of the task is almost
> done, since I've written a Archiva consumer which reads .ras descriptor and
> indexes the file based on its descriptor. This was needed in order to enable
> searches using some fields of the file descriptor.
>
> Another part of the work is to show some valuable information on the
> Archiva interface. This is not required to be compliant with the spec, but I
> would like to do that because it makes sense in an environment that supports
> software reuse. I was looking at the showArtifact.jsp and I noticed that all
> information comes through a ArtifactProjectModel (am I right?).

Correct :)

> I suppose the instance of this class is created based on POM information,
> so I would like to know if there is an entry point or reader class that
> allows me to write my own model reader - the information will be contained
> in the RAS descriptor file.

As for the reader, you might need to implement your own reader for the RAS
descriptor. You can take a look at the different implementations of the
ProjectModelReader which Archiva uses for reading the pom files in the
archiva-repository-layer module for an example. You might also want to take
a look at the ProjectModelToDatabaseConsumer (in archiva-database-consumers)
which invokes the POM reader and adds the POM info to the database.

> Also, I've seen that all artifacts are uploaded based on group, id and
> version information. I'm planning to retrieve group, id and version from the
> RAS descriptor file. I've also seen that the "copy" to the repository from
> UI is made by the UploadAction, so probably I would write another method for
> treating that, and also enable an upload for RAS files based only on the
> artifact file name on upload.jsp. Is there any other file upload point in
> the system?

Uploads via DAV is also supported (see archiva-webdav module) :)

> This is part of my graduation final paper, and I'm currently working on a
> 1.1.3 version on my machine.  I don't have plans for integrating that yet,
> but if you guys find it interesting, we can arrange a review and merge of
> the changes with the recent 1.2 version after the work is done.

That would be great! Could you create a jira issue for this? We can use that
to keep track of your patches and for reviewing them as well :)

Thanks,
Deng