archiva-dev mailing list archives

From James William Dumay <ja...@atlassian.com>
Subject Remove support for webdav?
Date Wed, 11 Feb 2009 00:36:30 GMT
Hey guys,
I've been working on a newer repository API that is not based on a
webdav servlet but a simple HTTP servlet that supports PUT (and some
backward compatibility for Webdav's MKCOL method).

The new API has been made simple because of the limited amount of HTTP
methods that need to be implemented.

So you may be asking "Show me the code" unfortunately I'm waiting for an
IP waiver at Atlassian to be processed so I can get the project off of
labs.atlassian.com and into the Archiva sandbox.

I can think of a few advantages of no longer supporting webdav:
* We no longer have to support 4 or so different implementations of
Microsoft webdav clients
* Our tenuous support for Webdav Level 3 locking can simply go away.
* The ugly issues surrounding the DavResourceFactory and the repository
group feature will go away (currently we have two impls of a DavResource
instead of the one)

One disadvantage I can see is that our webdav support is a
differentiator and that we already have an existing users using the
webdav feature.

Thoughts?
James